Re: Configuring pppd to accept link-local IPv6 interface id from remote peer

On 14/02/2021 01:57, Michael Richardson wrote
Nicholas Humfrey <njh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
     > I have two pppd (v2.4.7) instances running, talking to each over over a
     > serial port link. But I can't work out how to get the 'client' pppd to
     > accept the link-local IPv6 interface identifier provided by the
     > 'server' pppd. I am trying to use static addresses so I know the
     > link-local IP address of the remote peer.

So, basically you want to have ppp running with unnumbered links, and then
maybe you do routing over that?

I am not surprised that this hasn't been tested, and that there are bugs.
Mostly, IP6CP assigns random IPv6-LL.

I guess it does surprise me that there are bugs! I had been assuming that I was doing something wrong but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a bug.

If your goal is routing over unnumbered links, you don't really need the
destination IPv6-LL to route to, it's enough to "dev ppp0" or whatever.

Yeah, that is perfectly fair. I did get static global IPv6 addresses and routing working, so the actual link-local address I guess isn't that important.

Just a bit frustrating not being able to achieve something that seems like it should be possible.

Thanks!

nick.