Re: help

Davy Leon wrote:
> I'm on dialup and have some question to ask. I have an script wich dials
> automatically to my ISP to get my email using fetchmail from all my
> email accounts.
>
> Sometimes after the ppp conection is stablished ok and running for a
> couple of minuts, it just dies. The modem is still conected but I cannot
> ping anybody. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens very often.
> So, the last action of the script is to hang up the modem. When this
> happens, the result is that the script hangs up but only after every
> conections I should do gets time out. The result is a phone bill, an
> internet bill and no email at all. I need a method to detect when this
> happens and simply disconect and run the conection script again. What do
> you advice me?

Still connected but cannot ping on dial-up shortly after the initial
connection sounds to me like misconfigured flow control.  Some things to
check (in roughly descending order of usefulness or ascending order of
desperation):

	- Try using "asyncmap 0xa0000" as part of your PPP
	  configuration.  If that doesn't work, then try out
	  "default-asyncmap".

	- Check the configuration of the modem to find out
	  if the wrong sort of flow control is enabled.

	- Try using "record filename" to get a fairly low-
	  level recording of the session, and see if there
	  are patterns in the problem.

	- Try using "kdebug 7" to enable verbose debugging
	  in the kernel, where character I/O occurs.

	- Join the 20th century and get off dial-up.  ;-}

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>