Re: help

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Davy Leon wrote:

Hello guys

I'm on dialup and have some question to ask. I have an script wich dials automatically to my ISP to get my email using fetchmail from all my email accounts.

Sometimes after the ppp conection is stablished ok and running for a couple of minuts, it just dies. The modem is still conected but I cannot ping anybody. It doesn't happen all the time, but happens very often. So, the last action of the script is to hang up the modem. When this happens, the result is that the script hangs up but only after every conections I should do gets time out. The result is a phone bill, an internet bill and no email at all. I need a method to detect when this happens and simply disconect and run the conection script again. What do you advice me?

Two possibilities-- figure out why youare disconnecting like that and fix it,
or kludge something to hang up and redial when the connection goes down. You
could for example set up a cron job when ppp connects to ping something  and
see if you get a response, and if not, reconnect. For the former, enable deguggin in ppp and look at the logs to see if there is
anything there. Or get after your ISP and find out what they are doing to
disconnect you.