Re: Banyan Vines

-----Original Message-----
From: James Carlson [mailto:carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 09:02 AM
To: tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: linux-ppp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Banyan Vines

tony.chamberlain@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Does anyone know what it means if you are running pptp and in
> /var/log/messages you get a message "unsupported protocol Banyan Vines"
> (along with a lot of unsupported protocol messages which are just
> hex values), or what to do about it?

It means you're getting garbled packets from the peer.

If it's persistent and doesn't correct itself over time, the most
plausible reason (I think) would be that you're using MPPE (MS
proprietary packet encryption) and there's a bug in that code.

If it just happens intermittently and then fixes itself, I'd ignore
it.  The cause would be dropped or corrupted packets and recovery by
the encryption code.

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It appeared to be happening every couple minutes and causing
the VPN to go down (even though pppd was still running) so I had
to kill pppd and let it restart. That fixed it till the next time.
So probably like you say it is mppe.

Thanks