Re: [patch 02/14] always create a new process group

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Paul Mackerras wrote:

Marco d'Itri writes:

pppd sends signals to the whole process group, so it must always create
a new one or it may kill the parent process and its siblings.
Currently setsid() is not called when the updetach option is used.
We want to make the detached and non-detached code paths as similar as
possible.

I know there is a problem here but I don't think this patch is the
right solution, because setsid fails and does nothing if the process
is a process group leader, which it usually will be when run from a
shell.

The return value from setsid is not checked, so I don't see the problem here. After the call, the pppd process is the leader of a process group (whether it was before or not), which is what we want.

There is a reason why the setsid in detach() is only done
after forking.

To be clear, what is that reason?

-