Re: pppd security

James Carlson wrote:

jfj writes:
The trust model is this: We suppose that malware is running.
Suppose from a buffer overflow in libPNG which achieved
priviledge escallation to root. It is OK for malware to run but
it will not be able to connect to anyone.

What's the point in that?

If your fix becomes common practice, then attackers will just learn to
open /dev/kmem and rewrite the bits that are preventing them from
doing what they need to do.  Or more simply just overwrite a binary
that has the privileges desired, and exec that.

If your fix doesn't become common practice, then the problem (to a
large extent) hasn't been solved.

In order for this to work is must not be common practice.
I'm trying to secure a very specific system. The logic is that it
will be a custom system where, for example, one must do a
couple of ioctl()s on a socket before it is activated. If the
ioctl()s are known, we've done nothing.

It is based on trying to predict what a malware would
attempt and sabotage it by adding non-standard calls.
Without feedback from the inside, the attackers work
will be quite difficult.

And if the malware tries too many things, it will be
detected sooner or later. (/dev/kmem disabled by
CAP_RAWIO)

Now I'm thinking about getting `struct ppp*` from `struct file*`
in ppp_open() and failing if n_channels is non zero. Sounds reasonable?

jerald

-