From: Mike Turquette [mike.turquette@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:58 AM
To: Comaschi, F.
Subject: Re: power measurement

Quoting Comaschi, F. (2013-07-10 05:49:36)
> Dear Mike,
>
> I am Francesco Comaschi, a researcher at Eindhoven University of Technology. I am sending you this email because my group is interested in purchasing an ARM-powered board where to measure power consumption with the highest accuracy possible.
> Ideally, the board we are looking for has the following characteristics:
>
> -) options for power-saving strategies (DVFS and power gating);
> -) options for measuring power consumption on the board (possibly via software, maybe using lm_sensors), or via hardware otherwise (maybe using ARM Energy Probe?);
> -) support available: since I do not have much experience, i would rather choose an option where either some work has already been done in terms of power management/power measurements, or some sort of support would be guaranteed (for example, regarding the Arndale board I could not get to work the DVFS through Linaro, and so far I didn'get any answer/feed-back from In Signal).
>
> Also, if you have any documentation/tutorial/reference to suggest me in order to understand how to properly perform DVFS/power gating on one of the boards supported by Linaro, I would be really grateful.
> I was considering, among the others, the Arndale dual-board (that we already have), the Origen quad-core board and the Panda board. Also the Versatile Express family from ARM is very attractive of course, but terribly expensive.

Hi Francesco,

Arndale and Panda are both good options which have some support upstream
for DVFS and power gating.

> I have read about the possibility of using the AEP to measure energy on device:
> http://www.linaro.org/documents/download/3f44bb2b53ebd7ef498202d496c8cadd5093c0a862c4a
> and I was wandering if anything similar has been already done on the Origen and the Arndale.

AEP is very limiting. Did you see Andy Gross' presentation on using the
AEP? It might be good for observing some DVFS transitions, but is
essentially useless for high-accuracy low-power idle transitions.

It is important to know that measuring high-performance workloads is not
the same as measuing low power workloads. You might choose different
resistor values depending on whether you are interested in measuring
active frequency scaling versus idle power gating.

There is still no easy way to do this. I suggest purchasing a National
Instruments DAQ, one of the USB 6000 series should be good. Solder sense
resistors across exposed capacitors on the boards and measure that way.
It is how most of us do it when we want to get serious about measuring
power.

If you have further questions please Cc the Linux ARM kernel mailing
list. It means more people can answer your questions and future
researchers can benefit from your correspondence.

Regards,
Mike