Re: Cpuidle drivers, Suspend : Fix suspend/resume hang with intel_idle driver

On 07/02/2012 10:57 AM, preeti wrote:
> On 07/02/2012 10:34 AM, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:

>>> Yes.The question still remains about the cpus that have already entered
>>> deep C-states even before suspend routines have begun.We are not taking
>>> precautions to prevent them from going into idle.
>>>

>> Actually we need *not* take such precautions. See below.
>>
>>> If the resume hang does depend on the cpus being in deep C-state,even
>>> after the fix with acpi_idle_suspend, there should have been a hang
>>> in scenarios where the cpus have already entered deep C-states before
>>> suspend has begun.
>>>

>> Nope, that won't happen because we have CPU hotplug in between. The suspend
>> path goes through CPU hotplug (cpu offline), and one of the phases of the
>> cpu offline operation requires that the cpu that is going down runs the
>> CPU_DYING_FROZEN callbacks. No other cpu can execute that. So even if a cpu
>> was in a deep C-state, it would be kicked out of cpu idle and will run
>> these callbacks during cpu hotplug. Its enough if we ensure that it doesn't
>> enter deep C-states again, *after* the cpu hotplug operation. And the flag you
>> are using or the callback method that Rafael suggested looks sufficient for
>> ensuring that.
>>
>> So, we need not break our heads on too many race conditions here :-)
>
> But let us note that without the acpi_idle_suspend check,it was at the
> device layer,that the hang was happening.Before cpu hotplug even begins.

acpi_idle_suspend check has nothing to do with hang at the device layer,
IIRC. The hang at device layer was because we were coming out of cpu idle
without enabling interrupts. And Deepthi already fixed that issue
(commit 75cc523 upstream).

So the problem that still remains is the _resume_ hang when using intel idle
as the idle driver. And not allowing cpus to be in deep C-states while
doing suspend should fix that.

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat