Re: Cpuidle drivers, Suspend : Fix suspend/resume hang with intel_idle driver

On 06/30/2012 03:41 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Friday, June 29, 2012, preeti wrote:

>>> True intel_idle does not need ACPI to be configured,but that also means
>>> that the kernel will not provide you the means to suspend.There is no
>>> question of resume hang here at all as you cannot suspend in the first
>>> place.
>>>
>>> The issue is when ACPI is configured,and intel_idle is chosen to be the
>>> cpuidle driver.In this situation when the user suspends,cpus can enter
>>> deep sleep states as intel_idle driver does not prevent then from doing so.
>>> This is when resume hangs.

>>> The commit "ACPI:disable lower idle C-states across suspend/resume"
>>> states that device_suspend() calls ACPI suspend functions which cause
>>> side effects on the lower idle C-states.This means we need to disable
>>> entry into deeper C-states even before dpm_suspend_start(),but how much
>>> before?
>>>
>>> The commit answers this too.It says removing the functionality of
>>> entering deep C-states before suspend removed the side effects.Besides,
>>> the commit title says'across suspend/resume'.So I think to address the
>>> resume hang effectively,it is desirable to disable entry into deeper
>>> C-states during suspend_prepare operations.
>>
>> To clarify this further,since we take action upon PM_SUSPEND_PREPARE
>> notification,which is called before suspend begins,we avoid race
>> condition between suspend operations and disabling entry into deeper
>> c-states altogether.
>
> Well, what about races between disabling deeper C-states and cpuidle?

Yes.The question still remains about the cpus that have already entered
deep C-states even before suspend routines have begun.We are not taking
precautions to prevent them from going into idle.

If the resume hang does depend on the cpus being in deep C-state,even
after the fix with acpi_idle_suspend, there should have been a hang
in scenarios where the cpus have already entered deep C-states before
suspend has begun.

> Rafael

Regards
Preeti