Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

What I meant was that various keypad controllers provide different options.
For one TC35893 keypad controller I know, it allows putting the keypad module
into the deepest low power mode while enabling the keypad module to wakeup
via a combination of specific keys. In such a case, the user space isn't even going
to get events to ignore.

>"Kicking devices into low power mode" is ambiguous.  How about
>"requesting that an idle device go into low-power mode" instead?  This
>doesn't carry an implication that the user could force a non-idle
>device to suspend or could force the driver to do something against its
>will.
>
>Of course, if the device is idle then it's natural to ask why it isn't
>already in low-power mode.  Maybe it's waiting for an autosuspend
>timer to expire; anything else doesn't make much sense.

Okay. I messed up the kicking part; but why should the device solely wait
for an auto suspend timer to expire. Don't you agree that the keypad module
be turned off when a keypad slider is pushed back into a phone?

>> Coming in late, I would just like to summarize some of the points; please
>> correct if I am wrong:
>>
>> - user space intervention is required to communicate specific events
>>   to individual devices to put them into an appropriate power state.
>
>Stop after "communicate specific events to individual devices" (or
>drivers).  I don't agree that userspace should always have the ability
>to put devices into specific power states.

Yes not always; but examples of keypads, touch panels could.

>> - auto suspend isn't the correct choice for input devices as they may
>>   conflict with system suspend (touch screen off/idle needs to be sync'ed
>>   with system suspend as with a lock switch)
>
>I don't understand this at all.  How does autosuspend conflict with
>system suspend?  Your example isn't clear.

Hmm. I was looking at the case with touch screen. I set my display backlight
to go off after say 30 seconds; my touch screen idle begins only when the display
goes off; meaning I still expect the touch screen to respond to any events before
the timeout. This in turn requires that the timeouts for the backlight and the touch
be synchronized, failing which the user might interpret the touch to be non-functional
in case the touch timeout and backlight timeout vary. Am I wrong to think that
such inter-dependency between devices should be avoided?

>PM does indeed provide a sysfs attribute for enabling/disabling
>individual devices for low-power mode.  It doesn't provide an attribute
>for _forcing_ a device into low-power mode, and I don't think it
>should.  The driver should always be in charge.

Agree.

>> However a new
>>   "suspend_ondemand" flag can enable such devices to be put into appropriate
>>   states via a /sys/devices/.../power/ by the user space.
>
>This has not yet been settled.  Why do we need an "ondemand" flag when
>we already have power/control?

Oh am sorry again; my bad choice of words :( I didn't intend to settle that as
the final outcome). Well the idea of accelerated suspend too looks promising.

Also, for some of the keypad behavior, apart from Dmitry's replies,

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>        Does suspending the keypad truly put it in low-power mode?

The examples that I can see are truly low power states; the STMPE/TC35893(or X)
and ones have the ability to disable the keypad clocks and as explained above ability
to either come back to active mode via magic key presses or some host activity on
the usual MFD.

>        What happens if a key is pressed while the keypad is suspended?
>        Do you want to prevent all the keys from working or just some
>        of them?
>        How would the user un-suspend the keypad if the system no
>        longer responds to keystrokes?

As Dmitry replied, there are variations possible. Controllers part of a MFD group
usually allow returning to active mode via specific bus transactions between the
MFD host and the CPU; dedicated controllers on SoCs cannot wakeup via themselves;
but some dedicated GPIO lines wakeup the CPU and in turn the CPU can wake up the
controller and etc etc

Cheers!