Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

Hi,

Sorry to be jumping in late. My few comments dispersed with
individual replies

Yes. At least on the U8500 (and couple of OMAPs as well), it is the
always-on power button on AB8500/TWLs that is the necessary event
to turn off the display/keypad. The entire display/keypad themselves
cannot wakeup the system. But on the older phones, we generally had
to have the menu + star combination to unlock the phone, which falls into
the main keypad.

>The point is that there seems to be a need for kicking devices into low
>power mode and I woudl like to have generic interface for that,
>preferrably reusing (as far as kernel drivers go) existing PM
>infrastructure.

Coming in late, I would just like to summarize some of the points; please
correct if I am wrong:

- user space intervention is required to communicate specific events
  to individual devices to put them into an appropriate power state.

- auto suspend isn't the correct choice for input devices as they may
  conflict with system suspend (touch screen off/idle needs to be sync'ed
  with system suspend as with a lock switch)

- PM ATM doesn't provide a sysfs attribute for enabling/disabling or forcing
  an individual device into low power mode unlike for platform. However a new
  "suspend_ondemand" flag can enable such devices to be put into appropriate
  states via a /sys/devices/.../power/ by the user space.

If my above summarization is correct, I personally feel the on demand flag is a clean
option for the current requirement.

Cheers!
Sundar