Re: [RFC] input: syfs switches for SKE keypad

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > OK, so how is a graphics driver going to figure out it should suspend when the
> > > button is pressed in the example above?
> >
> > The graphics driver doesn't have to figure that out at all.  It merely
> > has to suspend the display whenever it can, i.e., whenever the usage
> > count drops to 0 (or equivalently, whenever the runtime_idle callback
> > runs).
>
> That makes sense for drivers that do very agressive PM, but fails for
> cases when you have bigger timeouts. My phone shuts off its display
> automatically after 30 seconds or a minute but I have an option of
> pressing a button which causes it to shut off immediately.
>

> > It's up to userspace to make sure that the display's usage count goes
> > to 0 at the proper time, i.e., when the button is pressed.  Contrary to
> > what you wrote above, we _do_ have an interface for this at the PM core
> > level: power/control.
> >

> I think that while using power/control is a _very_ good option "auto"
> and "on" are not enough, we need 3 states: "on", "off" and "auto".

Will the driver use autosuspend for the 30-second delay?  Then all you
have to do is this: When the button is pressed, write 0 to
power/autosuspend_delay_ms, causing an immediate runtime suspend.
Then before turning the display back on, write 30000 to set the delay
to 30 seconds again.  You can leave power/control set to "auto" the
whole time.

I don't like the idea of having an "off" setting in power/control.
What happens if the user turns a disk drive controller "off" and the
system needs to read or write something on that disk drive?

Alan Stern