Re: suspend blockers & Android integration

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> We clearly have different standards for what we consider good. We
>> measure time suspended in minutes or hours, not seconds, and waking up
>> every second or two causes a noticeable decrease in battery life on
>> the hardware we have today.
>
> I guess I'm spoiled working with (unreleased) hardware that knows how
> to power gate ;-)

I'm continually surprised by answers like this.  We run on hardware
that power gates very aggressively and draws in the neighborhood of
1-2mA at the battery when in the lowest state (3-5mA while the radio
is connected to the network and paging).  Waking up out of that lowest
state and executing code every few seconds or (worse) several times a
second) will raise your average power consumption.  Being able to stay
parked at the very bottom for minutes or hours at a time when nothing
"interesting" is happening is very useful and can have a significant
impact on overall battery life.

Brian