Re: power/level and power/control

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:57, Nithish Mahalingam <nithish.m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I don't think there is an existing project that would really fit here.

>> > Right, that needs policy to apply, depending on the current state. But
>> > unfortunately there is no existing infrastructure we could easily
>> > extend, it would be something new to come up with.
>
> Shouldn't it suffice to extend usb_device namespace values in HAL
> specification for runtime PM and once added let distribution
> specific user space PM framework handle this.
> http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#device-properties-usb
>
> I guess the industry is moving towards DeviceKit, anyway that is just
> implementation specific.

There is no HAL anymore, it's dead and no longer maintained. DeviceKit
was only a temporary name, and does not exist as a project.

HAL is split into pieces, like udisks, upower, and along with udev,
PulseAudio, NetworkManager, ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, ..., there are
specialized daemons taking care of domain-specific tasks. There is
nothing really where USB power management would really fit in today.

Kay