Re: power/level and power/control

>>> There is no major project I know of, which uses these things, and
>>> nothing I know of people would work on at the moment.
>>
>> If this were to be added, which project should it be added to?
>
> I don't think there is an existing project that would really fit here.
>
>> I don't think handling this with udev scripts is a good idea, because
>> you want to be able to revisit such decisions when you go to
>> battery power or power is low, for example whether you want to
>> charge your cell phone.
>
> Right, that needs policy to apply, depending on the current state. But
> unfortunately there is no existing infrastructure we could easily
> extend, it would be something new to come up with.

Shouldn't it suffice to extend usb_device namespace values in HAL
specification for runtime PM and once added let distribution
specific user space PM framework handle this.
http://people.redhat.com/davidz/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#device-properties-usb

I guess the industry is moving towards DeviceKit, anyway that is just
implementation specific.

regards,
/N