Re: [RESEND patch 2.6.25] ACPI uses device_may_wakeup() policy inputs

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 20:48 +0800, Zhao Yakui wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 12:37 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 April 2008, Zhao Yakui wrote:
> > > Agree with what Rui said. The patch doesn't change the time when GPEs
> > > are enabled/disabled.
> >
> > So you also think my worries were unfounded?  OK, I'm happy
> > to hear that.  It means the userspace model for wakeup events
> > on PCs can become one that non-ACPI platforms can use too.
> >
> > In which case ... I'll resend this patch with a more concise
> > summary and a signed-off-by line.
> >

> > > But after the patch is applied, some PCI device(the ACPI device with the
> > > _PRW object) can wake the sleeping system by default. And it is totally
> > > opposite to the current flowchart.
> >
> > That's not true.  Behavior could only change for devices with
> > drivers which already call pci_enable_wake()!
> Yes. But in fact a lot of PCI device will call pci_enable_wake when the
> system enters the suspend state. And the behaviour will be changed.
> > What's different is that /proc/acpi/wakeup is being taken
> > partially out of the decision loop ... in favor of (a) driver
> > model flags, which work on platforms without ACPI, and also
> > (b) device driver logic, which in any case really needs to
> > be prepared to request and otherwise manage the wake events.
> >
> Yes. What your said is right. If your patch is applied, whether the PCI
> device can wake the sleeping system is controlled by device driver.

This may cause some "regressions", something like system resumes
immediately after enter S3. This should rather be a driver/device
problem which rises a wake up event when it's suspend.
The right thing to do is to disable the wake up flag for this device.
The patch was dropped for this reason last time it's merged and we
should take good care of it this time. :)

Dave,
Maybe we should state this in the change log?

thanks,
rui