Re: sleepy linux self-test

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i'd really love to have a /dev/rtc device compatibility APIs, both
> inside and outside the kernel.

Unfortunately the /dev/rtc code became a legacy API for good reasons.

Like not recognizing that all the world's not a PC, with a single RTC
that clones a long-obsolete chip from Motorola ... and not having been
specified in a hardware-neutral manner.  Oh, and of course not all
systems actually used the same RTC driver anyway; it's not like there
was just *one* such programming interface to worry about.

> I really dont know why the new RTC code
> does not do it - why does it put up artificial anti-adoption barriers to
> make it harder to migrate to the new code?

What "anti-adoption" barriers would those be?  Pavel's immediate
problem was easy to solve, though he didn't know it.

>From the perspective of almost anyone not using a PC, all the
adoption barriers were on the side of the /dev/rtc code.

- Dave