Re: Info on LDM, domain system and SOCs

On 9/24/07, Francesco VIRLINZI <francesco.virlinzi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Amit Kucheria ha scritto:
> > On 9/10/07, Francesco VIRLINZI <francesco.virlinzi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> If you mean the <include/linux/clk.h>, I already saw it.
> >> I think it's good but it isn't enough.
> >> I want track also the devices on a clock to be able to notify (for each
> >> device) if a clock changes.
> >>

> > You should propose these changes to the clock framework. Designing a
> > new framework is unlikely to be accepted in the kernel easily since a
> > lot of platforms are using the clock framework already.
> >
> Hi
> I'm sorry but this is really what I don't want to do.
> I think the problem is really this.
>
> In the kernel there are a several clock struct... one for each
> architecture...

The clk struct is going to be platform/arch dependent. The access
methods to the framework  are independent though -  clk_enable,
_disable, _register, _unregister, etc.

> A lot of them have no relation with the linux driver model... and they
> aren't showed under /sys/...
> This means there is a physical clock network not aware by the kernel.

I agree. The main reason currently being that PC platforms don't care about it.

> For this reason I don't want "write-a-new" or "extend-an-existent" clock
> framework..
>
> I'm working on a domain framework arch independent (a kind of ancestor
> of all the clock framework)
>  able to track the domain relationship and also the device-on-domain
> relationship.
> This framework should go under <root>/drivers/base/...
> The basic idea is to create a base code for all the architectures to
> simplify (I hope)
>  the clocks managements in the SOCs.

As Igor pointed out in another reply, power domain and voltage domain
information could be added to clock framework. For an example, see the
voltage framework patches posted to linux-arm-kernel a few months ago.
Those could be merged into the clock framework. You can also lookup
PowerOP discussions on linux-pm for some background.

> For example in my platform I can do something like:
>
> # ls /sys/domains/pll1_clk/comms_clk/devices/
> # ssc-0  ssc-1  ssc-2
>
> This means in my platform there are
>  - a parent clock pll1_clk
>  - a child clock comms_clk
>  - three devices (ssc-0 ssc-1 ssc-2) under comms_clk

The only thing new that I see here is that you export the clock tree
to sysfs. That shouldn't be too hard to do with the existing
framework.

> And this information are available in user space (I think this information
>  could help a power manager in user space)

Why would you want that, except for debugging during development?

Regards,
Amit