Re: [RFC] dynamic device power management proposal

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Shaohua Li wrote:

> > A lot of development along these lines has already been going on in
> > the
> > USB subsystem.  It isn't complete yet, but a lot of the ideas you
> > raise
> > have already been implemented.
> Ok, I'll look at the USB implementation. On the other hand, I think
> there should be a generic framework for all bus types.

I agree, but only to the extent that the concepts can usefully be shared.
What works for USB might very well not work for a different subsystem.

My approach has been first to get something that does work in one
subsystem, and then to see about moving it into other subsystems or the PM
core.  I haven't finished the first step yet.  :-)  So it may be a little
premature to try defining a full-blown dynamic power management solution
that can apply to everything.

> Doing suspend in the driver level isn't flexible. See in the case 'close
> console if keyboard/mouse hasn't input', it's hard to do in a driver.

I'm a little confused by this.  If you want to suspend a device, surely
you have to ask the device's driver to do the actual work?

Maybe you mean that the _decision_ to suspend a device sometimes must be
made by code other than the device's driver.  I agree; nothing I said
before was meant to rule out such things.  In fact, USB already contains
several instances where non-driver code decides to suspend a device.  For
example, when a device's file in the usbfs filesystem is closed, the
filesystem code attempts to suspend the device.

Alan Stern