Re: [RFC] dynamic device power management proposal

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 23:44 +0800, Alan Stern wrote:> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Shaohua Li wrote:> > > Runtime device power management or dynamic device power management> > (dpm).> >> > Why dpm:> >      1. put an idle device into low power state to save power> >      2. speed up S3/S4. In resume time, we could resume devices only> as> >         the devices are used. In suspend time, we could skip> suspended> >         devices. (suspend/resume a device equals to change device> state)> >> > Basically we need device driver support, a kernel framework and a> policy> > (determine when to change a device’s power state).> > A lot of development along these lines has already been going on in> the> USB subsystem.  It isn't complete yet, but a lot of the ideas you> raise> have already been implemented.Ok, I'll look at the USB implementation. On the other hand, I thinkthere should be a generic framework for all bus types.