Re: Alternative Concept

Igor Stoppa wrote:

>> So, in my thinking a devoted entity should exist to deal with such questions in
>> regard to such shared pm resources. This entity is policy manager. Thus I see a
>> need in an API for policy managers to be presented.
>
> Your policy manager becomes too invasive and even _mandatory_ because it
> becomes the only way to perform resource management.
>
> With a decentralised approach, instead, only people who _want_ to use
> the policy manager can include it, while otherwise they rely on the
> automatic handling.

Seems you both are considering  two opposite extremities. Why don't
consider
things as its nature? Every computer system  has  a subsystem
delivering resources
to its elements, i.e subsystem delivering clocks - clock subsystem,
subsystem delivering
power - power subsystem. So you need to corresponding kernel  subsystems
to control that couple.
That is, there is a driver layer, there is clock/voltage subsytems and
eventually there is a policy
manager, i.e clock/volatge subsystem becomes a dealer for different
devices and also it becomes
a dealer for user space applications (i.e. policy managers).

As a thought, we already use an irq subsystem that provides resource -
interrupt, some ideas might be taken
there.
Thanks,
Dmitry