Re: Alternative Concept

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 12:45 +0300, ext Dmitry Krivoschekov wrote:
> David Brownell wrote:
> >> But users should be able to choose to use or do not use the incorporated
> >> policy, shouldn't they?
> >
> > Sometimes.  What's a user?
> It's a user of a kernel subsystem that (subsystem ) keeps a policy,
> i.e. a user it's another kernel subsystem or userspace application,
> it depends on implementation of a system.
> >  Do you really expect every single
> > algorithm choice to be packaged as a pluggable policy?
> I didn't say pluggable policy, I just said there are must be
> an alternative - "use" or "do not use" a predefined policy.
> For example, in USB you are able to enable/disable autosuspend rule,
> don't know if it's possible to disable it at runtime though.
> > Any
> > time I've seen systems designed that way, those pluggabilty
> > hooks have been a major drag on performance and maintainability.
> >
> > Most components don't actually _need_ a choice of policies.
> >

> Yes, but they at least need a mechanism to disable an associated policy,
> upper layers should be able to decide where the policy well be kept,
> they may delegate the keeping to lower layers but also may want to
> keep the policy themselves for some reason.
That sounds more like it's driven by IP than by technical reasons.
Anyway in the USB example mentioned the rule is very high level, while
here the proposal is to meddle with the internals of a driver.
It seems more logical to implement policies/rules at driver level,
rather than going straight for the resources of the driver.

Why can't the driver itself be able to translate whatever high-level
command/hint it receives into the platform/arch/board specific actions?

> Also, in some cases it is reasonable to adjust rules of a policy
> (without changing the policy). For example if you define a policy
> "keep an output frequency always for 33 MHz (an input frequency may vary)",
> you may want to change the base frequency to 66 MHz sometimes.

> >> there is some principle: "turn the clock off when use counter reaches
> >> zero", so it is a policy, and a choice is to disable or not to disable
> >> an output clock, it is the simplest case but it's certainly a policy.
> >
> > That's not a choice; it's how the API is defined.  It's not "policy".
> >
> > Arithmetic is defined so that 2 + 2 == 4.  Should we have a "policy"
> > allowing it to == 5 instead?  Or should we just accept that as how
> > things are defined, and move on?
> We should accept this if we agree that benefit of using the rule always
> exist,
> but if the rule constrain some functionality we may want to disable the
> rule.
> Considering the case with clocks,  we may want  to leave the clock running
> even if there is no users of the clock, but there is a timing constraint
> for readiness  of  a clock device  (PLLs can't be started immediately).

I find that a bogus example.
It seems like you are generalising clock handling based on PLLs.
The PLL is actually the exception, having a penalty in commuting between
states, while all the children can be toggled on/off without any delay.
And that's easy to deal with: if a driver is going to do something that
could be affected by the PLL automatically going off, the driver can
avoid releasing its clock. That will effectively keep the PLL on.

The PLL per se is not really significant, apart from the fact that it
tatkes power and it's desirable to keep it off for as long as possible,
but the important bit is that the drivers must have the clock ready and
available when needed.

A similar approach can be used for frequencies: if a driver periodically
needs a certain high frequency, it might be impacted by the system
automatically scaling voltage/frequence.

Possible solutions?
-keep the request for high frequency
  if a pll relock is involved in the scaling

-keep the request for high voltage
  if there is no significant delay from a possible pll relock or no
relock at all, but significant ramp-up time for the voltage regulator

These actions could be performed by the driver either autonomously or
based on hints/commands receivied from upper layers, in the form of
driver specific commands.
--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx>
(Nokia Multimedia - CP - OSSO / Helsinki, Finland)