Re: Alternative Concept

On Thursday 15 March 2007 6:29 am, Scott E. Preece wrote:

> | > For the rest of us, though, all the stuff you're currently
> | > doing for power management is wasted effort and why should we incur
> | > costs to work around them?
> |
> | Me personally?  What specifically are you referring to, and
> | in what respects would that be "wasted" effort?
> ---
>
> As noted in previous apology, I was speaking over-broadly. However, as I
> said, we currently configure out cpufreq and ACPI support,

ACPI -- goes without saying, unless you're on x86 or ia64.

cpufreq -- similar, although some non-x86 versions do exist, and seem
to provide limited power savings in a few cases (in conjunction with
voltage scaling, since the cost of N cpu cycles is otherwise constant).

> among other
> things, so they represent wasted effort from the particular perspective
> of our products. I was speaking rhetorically - just saying that the work
> done on cpufreq and ACPI was "wasted effort" in exactly the same sense
> that work spent on supporting the PM needs of embedded devices would be.

I still don't follow.  I think I'll just count your original response
as one of those "should not have written that" posts most folk suffer
from on occasion.

- Dave