[linux-pm] community PM requirements/issues and PowerOP [Was: Re: So, what's the status on the recent patches here?]

Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Mon 2006-09-11 17:36:33, Preece Scott-PREECE wrote:
>>> From: Pavel Machek [mailto:pavel at ucw.cz]

>>> frequency.
>>> that cpufreq
>>> have this
>>> No, there is reason to keep that in kernel -- so that cpufreq
>>> userspace interface can be kept, and so that resulting
>>> kernel<->user interface is not ugly.
>> ---
>>
>> Just as a data point, "keeping the cpufreq interface" is
>> irrelevant to a number of us, because we configure it out
>> of the system.  I'm not really arguing that we should get
>> rid of an existing kernel interface, but I don't see any
>> reason why we shouldn't be able to have a separately
>> configurable interface if cpufreq doesn't meet our needs.
>
> Configurable interfaces are evil,
Are you saying that not having sysfs attribute nodes for entities which don't
exist in a certain configuration is evil?

In x86 configuration you'd like to have just one attribute - frequency? It's
just subset of common case when all power parameters available on a platform are
exported. In x86 configuration you'd like to echo arbitrary frequency value into
'sys/something' and have underneath logic to chose "closest" predefine
frequency? No any reason to handle this in the kernel once frequency attribute
is exported.
> and I do not think you can push such
> patch. You have developed your own little interface that suits your
> needs -- and that's fine -- but now you are trying to push it into
> mainline... and that is not, because those interfaces were not really
> designed to work together.
once cpufreq userland interface functionality which does not belong to the
kernel is moved out of the kernel cpufreq interface becomes a subset of PowerOP
  sysfs interface. In other words this means that improvements of PM stack
layers/interfaces design will allow to design/develop an universal userspace
interface. We'd prefer to move gracefully in this direction though.

	Eugeny