[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

> [mailto:linux-pm-bounces at lists.osdl.org] On Behalf Of Amit Kucheria
>

> > > - latency is not an attribute of a certain operating point but a
> > function of
> > > two arguments - current operating point and a point we
> are goint to
> > > switch to. Therefor latency just does not belong to
> 'struct powerop'
> >
> > I disagree.
>
> Problem is that you disagree without giving your reasons.
> Here is another reason putting latency into your operating
> point definition isn't going to fly:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/196900/ <--- An API for specifying
> latency constraints
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/197282/
---

Actually, the proposed acceptable_latency functions just make it
more useful to add latency information to the operating point
definitions. The new interfaces set a [global] acceptable
latency, the operating point attribute would define the maximum
latency that could occur for a particular OP or sleep mode.
You need both sides - you need to know what's an acceptable
latency and you need to know what latency a particular
operation (like transitioning to a different OP) will impose;
then you can decide whether a particular transition can be
made while still meeting the required latency.

So, if a driver had set acceptable_latency to 300ms, the
Power-Management policy manager could look at the range of
available Ops and pick the lowest-power OP that met the
expected load and would also meet the required latency
guarantee. [And note that the acceptable latency has to include
both the resume time and whatever part of suspend happens with
interrupts blocked and can't be aborted.]

I like this new facility a lot. Now we just need something similar
for expressing anticipated required processing capacity ("I need
n thousand instructions executed in the next s seconds") in a nice
platform-independent way...

Scott