[linux-pm] So, what's the status on the recent patches here?

Hi!
> >>         point, by name. There is a new
> >/sys/power/operating_points directory
> >>         that shows all the operating points the
> >system supports. An
> >>         exampled from my centrino laptop shows:
> >>
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/high
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/highest
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/low
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/lowest
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/medium
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/mem
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/standby
> >
> >What makes you think that mixing operating and sleep
> >states is good
> >idea?
>
> They are all power states managed by the kernel and in
> the operating
> point concept they are all operating points the system
> supports.

That does not make mixing them right.

> The system can be set to any of the supported states by
> setting their name in the /sys/power/state file.  I find
> simplicity
> is usually a good thing.

I believe the quote is 'make it as simple as possible but not
simpler'.

> >And '600MHz' makes lot more sense than 'lowest' on
> >centrino.
>
> Perhaps, but the common name space makes it easy for the
> power manager
> daemon to perform the same functions without having to
> know that the lowest
> speed on my laptop is 600Mhz.

And enumerate english strings in power daemon? Limiting the numver of
states?

> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/high/frequency
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/high/voltage
> >>         /sys/power/operating_points/high/latency
> >
> >What is voltage for 'mem'?
>
> I don't know what the voltage or latency is for mem.
> Perhaps Intel could better
> say what the voltage is in the suspend state and what
> the latency was
> for transistion to that state.  I didn't have the data
> available when
> I wrote the code.

And you will not have data available even if intel helps you. What is
_frequency_ for mem? These fields are meaningless for sleep states;
that should tell you that mixing sleep and operating states is bad
idea.

--
Thanks for all the (sleeping) penguins.