[linux-pm] PowerOp Design and working patch

Note that I concur with Pavel and Tim that it would be better
to get the functionality working first, and worry about this after
we're sure the basic mechanisms work. However, it would make sense for
people reviewing the code to have in their minds the idea that it needs
to be dynamic in the future.

scott

| From preece at urbana.css.mot.com Tue Aug  8 08:44:35 2006
| Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 08:44:34 -0500 (CDT)
| From: "Scott E. Preece" <preece at motorola.com>
| CC: tim.bird at am.sony.com, daviado at gmail.com, linux-pm at lists.osdl.org,
|

| If you're a device manufacturer, and you build, say 50 devices that all
| use the same hardware but, because they are optimized for different
| functional use cases, have different preferred operating points and
| DVFS policies, it's *highly* desirable to not have to maintain 50
| separate builds for those devices.  Putting configuration information
| in places that can be changed independently of compilation is very
| important to us.
|
| scott
|

| | From: Pavel Machek<pavel at ucw.cz>
| |
| | Hi!
| |

| | > It's not a matter of stupidity.  The example I gave of not being
| | > able to create a kernel module was the situation where loadable
| | > module support is not available.  A HOWTO wouldn't alter this.
| |
| | So they need to recompile the kernel. Not a big deal when you are
| | developing new machine.
| |

| | > I agree. :-)
| |
| | Yes, I believe we are actually in agreement. Maybe features you want
| | will indeed be useful, but we want to get basics right, first.
| | 								Pavel
| | --
| | (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
| | (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html