[linux-pm] sysfs power/state file & dpm_runtime_suspend()

Hi,

It seems that we have a consensus on the obsoleteness of the sysfs
power/state
file and dev->power.power_state.event. Could anybody explain why? I have
recently
joined this mailing list and I would like to follow up with the technical
background of
this agreement.

If the sysfs mechanism is deprecated, the dpm_runtime_suspend() seems to be
the only method for runtime power management. But I think it's difficult for
a user-
space power manager to use this function because the caller needs to have
the pointer
to the device which it wants to control.

Lastly, shouldn't the dpm_runtime_suspend() move the device from dpm_active
list
to dpm_off list upon success? This would prevent suspending an
already-suspended
device again in the device_suspend() function.

Ikhwan