[linux-pm] RE: on-ness

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 08:27:32AM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > > The only issue I see with numbers is that they imply order,
> > > and it may be that some operating points might not have
> > > such a strict order.
>
> In my observation, "strict order" would be the exception not
> the rule.  There are often three or four orthogonal factors,
> and they don't naturally fit any two-dimensional linear order.

We need to distinguish two aspects here -- the "whole system states", which
in fact create a multi-dimensional problem, and one specific attribute of
one specific device. The performance level of one specific networking device,
for example. Or its sleep state. Or, if you can describe sub-aspects of a
networking device, the performance level or the sleep state of that
sub-device. So each strict-order parameter has its own file (that's why
the RFC mentioned three files for CPUs in the ACPI-model, for performance,
idle and throttling; different CPUs in different, especially embedded
surroundings may require additional files).

> > Yes, inventing good names may be tricky in some cases, but in other
> > cases names are very natural (arm has sleep, deep sleep and big sleep,
> > iirc).... And we can always fall back to state0..state5.
>
> Well, OMAP is one implementation that uses ARM, and it certainly has
> "deep sleep" and "big sleep".  But other ARM based SOCs provide very
> different power abstractions (consider "slow clock mode", "idle",
> "frozen", "standby", "stop", "sleep") and may use the same names to
> indicate different things.  System state names are system specific.

Well, the big problem with names and anything "system specific" is that it
makes _abstractions_ harder. It makes userspace's life harder, as it needs
to know what "idle" means on a specific system, instead.

> If ACPI wants to use names like "ACPI_S0".."ACPI_S5", that's fine;
> but Linux should not inflict such an approach on systems that don't
> use ACPI.  Developers might find it handy to contrast one SOC's
> "deep sleep" to "ACPI_S3" (or to "deep sleep" on another SOC), but
> it won't be an exact match; square peg, round hole.

Here you're talking about "system states" instead of "device states" again.

	Dominik