[linux-pm] RE: on-ness

(restored linux-pm to cc:)

yes, the concept was to explore a language generic enough
that it could describe either CPUs or any other devices.

no, this wasn't expected to be complete, just a start.
yes, wakeup capability is one thing we we discussed.
note that we may need to differentiate between enabling
the device to wakeup the system, and waking up just
the device itself.

no, if the numbers happen to corrolate to ACPI states,
that is purely lucky for the ACPI maintainer:-)
But honestly, we should "leverage" all we can from ACPI.
My role, of course, it to make sure that the generic
description can accommodate everything ACPI can do.

yes, idle refers to either Cx or Dx states -- it depends
on the device.  0 means operating, non zero means non-operating.

Re: strings.
we breifly debated strings vs numbers.
I'm not confident that there are enough unique strings
available without falling into state0, state1, state2, state3 --
so numbers seemed simpler.
The only issue I see with numbers is that they imply order,
and it may be that some operating points might not have
such a strict order.

appology in advace for the top-post, Intel IT re-installed my
laptop and a lot of things are not "quite right"...

-Len