[linux-pm] Re: swsusp3: system suspend/resume from userspace

Hi!

> > This is preview of what I'm doing. I call it swsusp3 for the
> > moment. Idea is to push image reading and writing to userspace, so it
> > can be compressed, can have nice progress bar etc.
> >
> > In the current state I do not write image anywhere, and user <->
> > kernel interface is *very* ugly, but you get the idea. It should allow
> > us to do most of stuff suspend2 does _and_ shrink kernel a bit at the
> > same time.
> >
> > Warning: Preview only. Code is ugly and probably broken.
>
> Ummm... it's really hard to know what to say. I guess I'll just have to
> wait and see how you progress.
>
> A few general comments:
>
> - I don't see any indication of support for storing a complete image of memory. Planning it?

I was afraid you would ask. This is the area where I don't know how to
do it cleanly. I could only free as much memory as strictly neccessary;
that should leave pagecache "mostly intact". Perhaps that would be good enough?

> - Aren't new syscalls generally viewed as pretty undesirable?

Well, yes, they are, except when alternatives are worse.

> - Should comments be in English?

Is there some czech comment in there? Well code is very ugly at places, "first
make it work, then make it cleaner".

				Pavel

--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms