[linux-pm] comments on irc log

David Brownell wrote:

>>Thing is, it's the system power states that are placing clock
>>constraints on devices.  On OMAP, going into "deep sleep" means
>>you've got to stop using the 48 MHz clock.  For "big sleep",
>>you can keep using that clock.  Most other CPUs have similar
>>constraints:  multiple system states, defined primarily by
>>clock usage.
>

> So to focus on one point:  "pm_message_t" doesn't work well
> at all, since it doesn't have a way to identify the target
> system power state, and drivers thus have no way to see if
> they should drop their requests for those clocks or whether
> the hardware should keep working away.

If I've followed the discussion correctly, it sounds like a lot of the
system intelligence is targeted at the bus driver level, and the current
generic platform bus driver for embedded onchip devices will probably
become something very tied to the particular platform.  If so, then at
least the bus driver would need to be told of the system state, which
can code the logic for figuring out which devices must be stopped prior
to entering a state, and device drivers can simply follow orders to
suspend.  But I suppose there's some cases in which a device driver may
have options more complicated than run/suspend in the face of changes in
clock gating, so having the info available to all drivers could be
useful even in that situation.

--
Todd