[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > This is why I'm in favor of power domains (power parents and children
> > that can be independent of physical device relations).  Power domains
> > are common for internal devices, not just external devices.  Still, if
> > you disable a physical parent, then the device is no longer operational.
> > Disable the usb host controller, and the external disk drive cannot be
> > used (in fact data may be lost).  So it's necessary to stop every child
> > device first, and generally also power it off if we can control the
> > power source.
>
> I just don't see it like that.
>
> Remember old scsi disks where formatting took half an hour? You may do
> something like
>
> invoke scsi format operation
> power down usb controller
> <half an hour later>
> power up usb controller
> get the results
>
> Now, that was probably bad example, but I do think some devices might
> do usefull work even with their parents disabled.

There's another aspect to it as well.  You can suspend the USB host
controller and then _still_ use the external disk, if the host controller
is automatically resumed when the next disk I/O request arrives.  Whereas
if you would stop the disk and its driver, the next I/O request might
simply languish in a plugged queue.  I suppose this would depend on
whether the disk driver was smart enough to leave its queue unplugged
under the right circumstances, so perhaps this isn't a great example.
(And you're right about the possibility of data being lost -- although
it's pretty unlikely -- which makes this an even worse example.)

Alan Stern