[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Pá 11-03-05 02:25:07, Adam Belay wrote:

> > > I think your not drawing a distinction between physical and logical
> > > (class) devices.  A physical device can be turned off, but the logical
> > > child device is allowed to remain on.  However, A physical child to a
> > > physical device must be powered off before the parent.  Perhaps this was
> > > your intention?
> >
> > Normally yes, I agree, we will want to suspend children before parents.
> > But your argument isn't valid; a physical child to a physical device might
> > very well have its own external power supply.  Then it wouldn't be
> > necessary for the child to be off at the time the parent is turned off.
> > Consider a USB disk drive as an example.  If it plugs into the wall then
> > it doesn't need to be spun down when its USB hub is suspended.
> >
> > Of course if you want to power down both devices, then certainly the child
> > should be turned off first.
> >
> > Alan Stern
>
> This is why I'm in favor of power domains (power parents and children
> that can be independent of physical device relations).  Power domains
> are common for internal devices, not just external devices.  Still, if
> you disable a physical parent, then the device is no longer operational.
> Disable the usb host controller, and the external disk drive cannot be
> used (in fact data may be lost).  So it's necessary to stop every child
> device first, and generally also power it off if we can control the
> power source.

I just don't see it like that.

Remember old scsi disks where formatting took half an hour? You may do
something like

invoke scsi format operation
power down usb controller
<half an hour later>
power up usb controller
get the results

Now, that was probably bad example, but I do think some devices might
do usefull work even with their parents disabled.
								Pavel