[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 10:37 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> Now that 2.6.11 is out, we can start to address a number of important
> issues for power management.  This overview discusses some of them,
> the things I have run across in my own work.
>

> Up to now, the PM development effort has been concerned primarily with
> system-wide sleep transitions, things like Suspend-To-RAM (STR) and
> Suspend-To-Disk (STD).  (A more general, less PC-centric description
> would call these states "deep sleep" and "shallow sleep".  A third
> possible state, which some people might be in favor of, is Standby or
> "very shallow sleep".)  The important thing here is that these involve
> global transitions, affecting every device in the system.  Also, they
> don't involve many policy decisions (which clocks to turn off and so
> on), and in any case such decisions are outside the scope of the PM
> core.

> .../...

Ok, I'll need to take more time re-reading this and giving you a more
complete answer, but a quick note for now: I have been thinking about a
model that would help deal with both "local" suspend and deal with
dependencies.

For example, a device may idle suspend, and the parent may want to be
notified so that when all the childs are idle-suspended, it may suspend
the bus. That sort of things.

I have some idea based on a definition of power states as an array in
the driver, where the driver exposes the parent/child state dependencies
and exposes a state name to sysfs. I posted some blurb about this a
while ago on this list btw.

Ben.