[linux-pm] Some thoughts on suspend/resume development

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Now that 2.6.11 is out, we can start to address a number of important
> > issues for power management.  This overview discusses some of them,
> > the things I have run across in my own work.
>
> Actually pm_message_t conversion is not be complete, yet, and it
> probably will not be complete before 2.6.13.

Okay, but we can start thinking about the remaining problems and their
solutions now.  The two most important outstanding issues in the earlier
email boil down to this:

	The need to make sure that suspend/resume are mutually exclusive
	with probe/release (and possibly other entry points).  The USB
	subsystem has set up its own private locking arrangement to take
	care of this; perhaps that scheme should be adopted more widely.

	The need for the sysfs power/state interface to convey more
	information: driver-specific data, whether or not resume-on-
	demand should be enabled, ... even something as basic as
	which the user is trying to do, a suspend or a resume!  (If
	you really want to get fancy, there could be a way for the
	user to specify that not only the device in question but also
	all its descendants should be recursively suspended.)

Of lesser importance is the question of how to set inactivity timeouts for
auto suspend.

Once these questions are answered, I think most of the remaining work on
suspend/resume can be pushed out to userspace.

Alan Stern