[linux-pm] add typechecking to driver model

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 18:11 -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Monday 01 November 2004 13:50, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 19:04 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Next try at typechecking for driver layer. I now actually use
> > > FREEZE/STANDBY/SUSPEND, altrough I'm not entirely convinced that it is
> > > good idea. [There seems to be very little difference between STANDBY
> > > and SUSPEND, so it is quite difficult to tell which one should be used
> > > when.]
>
> Erm, "freeze" was never supposed to be a PM state.  And I thought
> that I took a fair amount of care to write up how "standby" differs
> from, for example, "suspend to RAM" ...

How so ? it's not a device state, it's a driver state.... but it fits
well there too. A driver is "frozen" is a perfectly valid state. A
driver is "suspended" implies both frozen and some low power stuff.

> > At this point, we use only suspend I suppose. Standby is just an attempt
> > at providing some more distinction for handhelds or such who may have a
> > "light" suspend mode with fast wakeup, but it may not make sense ...
>
> APM talks about "standby" (resembling S1) and "suspend" (resembling S3).
> Also "hibernate" (resembling S4).
>
> Ignoring "standby" states would IMO be a good way to ensure that Linux PM
> continues to be inadequate on the hardware that needs PM the most ... :(

AM isn't an example here for the reason I already mentioned, the actual
low power stuff is under BIOS control.

Ben.