swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 09:19 -0700, David Brownell wrote:

> Somewhat related:  it's possible that some of the ARM clock
> gating APIs should become more mainstream.  Those are set up
> so that for example when nobody needs CLK48 any longer, it
> can be automatically turned off.  (Benjamin, this is a
> different model than you've described so far:  drivers
> determining clock usage, not system sleep transitions.
> It gives much finer control over power consumption, since
> power can be reduced without going to sleep.)

It's a different thing and totally orthogonal, more in line with what I
call dynamic PM. I do something similar on PowerMac, though I still have
to implement some refcounting on some clocks (I currently only swich off
some devices in the Apple IO ASIC when not used, but I could do a better
job of counting who uses what clock and turning the PLLs off, darwin
sort-of does that).

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>