[linux-pm] Re: swsusp & modules

Hi!

> > while I see some value in
> >
> > foo_resume(power_t state)
>
> foo_resume(device, somekinda_power_state)
>
> > {
> > 	if (STATE_LOST(state))
> > 		initialize_hw();
>
> That seems like the "software" case I gave, in
> which case device->driver_data can hold the answer
> to STATE_LOST.  It'll have known it in advance,
> maybe even based on board-specific logic.

Actually, you can't store it in device->driver_data without making
driver_data __nosave. And that would be kind of painfull.

> > It is only speed optimalization, but I undestand why someone would
> > like to do it.
>
> I'm just pushing back on core API changes, to
> make sure I understand the anticipated benefit.
> They all have a drawback:  lots of driver changes!

Actually I do not think we want this API change anytime soon. At least
I'm not converting all the drivers only because this little speedup.

If for some reason API changes anyway, I'd pass that
somekinda_power_state there...

								Pavel