swsusp & modules [was Re: [linux-pm] [Fwd: Re: PM messages]]

On Thursday 28 October 2004 13:30, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > Yes, that's what everyone wants to do.
>
> Not all devices need to do that - only the console device and the target
> device we're writing to (and all of their ancestors)

And USB devices should certainly avoid extra resumes ...
and there's no point in restarting the highspeed PLLs
unless they're actually going to be needed.  There
might not even be time or power enough to reactivate
everything.

> Look, I'm not trying to 'overcomplicate' anything. I'm not even trying to
> change things. I'm just trying to build a consistent set of terminology
> and truisms that we can agree on so when we start talking about actually
> changing things, we all have a shared consciousness about what we're
> doing. The fact that we disagree on basic stuff like this is indicative of
> a strong dissonance between all of us. What's obvious to you is not
> obvious to me, vice versa, and ditto for David, Ben, etc.

Exactly.

I'm not sure everyone would agree that STD should be
defined as minor deltas against STR -- namely, just
enough to write the suspend image.  (Console special
handling would be wanted for STR too, I suspect.)

- Dave