[linux-pm] Re: swsusp & modules

On Thursday 28 October 2004 12:32, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > I guess it would be handy. It is incompatible change but right thing
> > > to do.
> >
> > Not clear to me why it should be needed though.  We know
> > that in ACPI terms the system is going back to the G0 state;
> > what else is there to say?
>
> Unfreeze during suspend: enable queues, almost nothing to do.

How can we know it's safe to re-enable all queues?  If they're
empty, and nothing fills them ... it's obviously OK.  Likewise
if they're never re-enabled.

But it's not clear to me that re-enabling all I/O queues should
be safe.  If there's a pending write, it could be completed both
at that point ... then again later on resume.  Is that always
going to be safe, for all devices?  Probably not.

> Unfreeze during resume: reinitialize the hardware, then enable queues.

Don't always re-init; S4 may have had it preserve key state.
Like how the device requested the wakeup from S4, or the state
of downstream links.

- Dave