[linux-pm] Re: Add typechecking to suspend types and powerdown types

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > This adds typechecking to suspend types and powerdown types... This
> > >  should solve at least part of suspend type confusion. There should be
> > >  no code changes generated by this one. I'd like to see it applied...
> >
> > drivers/acpi/sleep/main.c:171: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> > drivers/acpi/sleep/main.c:172: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> > drivers/acpi/sleep/main.c:173: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
> >
> > static struct pm_ops acpi_pm_ops = {
> > 	.prepare	= acpi_pm_prepare,
> > 	.enter		= acpi_pm_enter,
> > 	.finish		= acpi_pm_finish,
> > };
> >
> > I'll drop this one.  Please try again when things have calmed down a
> > > bit.
>
> I do not know if things are calm enough now... I forgot about acpi
> pieces. Hmm, and about some arm pieces. This should fix it.

Sorry, I'm not going to support this until we have consensus about the
semantics and the types. It's just a band-aid as-is. Ben said:

The patches are easily done, but for once, I want to make sure we all
agree on the semantics before coding anything.

I'm definitely not a fan of meetings, despite beeing at IBM, but I'm
tired of seeing broken band aid patches on top of eachother with
infinite debates following each time.

</quote>

I agree 100%. Unless you can be like Ingo and supply a complete, panoptic
solution and are willing to iterate over it several times until it's
perfect, I don't want to have to fight battles over this on more than one
front (again and again, ad infinitum).

Thanks,

	Pat