RE: Kernel hangs when powering up/down drive using sysfs

Thank you for the information and for submitting the patch.   I will review this so that I can do this better in the future.   I appreciate all the help!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lukas Wunner <lukas@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:50 AM
To: Hoyer, David <David.Hoyer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-pci@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Keith Busch <kbusch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Kernel hangs when powering up/down drive using sysfs

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 06:25:53PM +0000, Hoyer, David wrote:
> I am not as familiar with submitting a "proper patch" and ask that you
> do it if you would be so kind.

I've just submitted a patch to address this issue.  Does it work for you?

The term "proper patch" is just kernel slang for a patch which can be applied with "git am" by the PCI maintainer, Bjorn Helgaas.

Such a patch can be generated with "git format-patch" and sent out with "msmtp" or "git send-email".

There are some formal requirements which the patch needs to satisfy, they are listed here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/submitting-patches.html
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/development-process.html
https://marc.info/?l=linux-pci&m=150905742808166

Never mind all these details if you do not intend to submit patches yourself.  In this case, I introduced this embarrassing mistake, so it's my job to provide a solution if you don't want to.

Thanks for all the debugging work you have done and once again sorry for the breakage.

Lukas