Re: 4.14.0-rc3 is auto-reloading PCIe SR-IOV Virtual Function device drivers when VFs are attached to VMs ...

[+cc Alex, Bryant, Steven, Juan]

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 1:36 PM, Casey Leedom <leedom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>   I hope this is the right Linux list for this issue.  One of our QA staff
> has noticed a new behavior starting about 4.14.0-rc3.  We instantiate PCIe
> SR-IOV Virtual Functions and the corresponding driver (cxgb4vf in this case)
> is automatically loaded.  That's fine and has been the case for some time.
> But, we remove the driver module (rmmod cxgb4vf) and then attach one of the
> VFs to a KVM Virtual Machine and the cxgb4vf driver module gets reloaded in
> the KVM Hypervisor.  This is new behavior.  I see that there was a pretty
> big change done by Luis R. Rodriguez in kernel.org commit revision 2355869
> but we haven't yet isolated the new behavior to that commit.  That'll be our
> next test but I wanted to get this out there for comment.

This is a good list.  I don't know what commit revision 2355869 refers
to.  It would be helpful if you could cite the git SHA1 for the
commit.

We're also having a conversation about the question of binding drivers
to VFs on powerpc here:
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20170922140608.47665-3-bryantly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's not exactly the same issue, but you might have useful input there.