Re: [RFC v4] PCI: PTM Driver

On 04/29/2016 22:17, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 06:29:17AM +0000, Yong, Jonathan wrote:
Hello LKML,

This is a preliminary implementation of the PTM[1] support driver. This driver
has only been tested against a virtual PCI bus since there are no known
endpoints utilizing it yet.

What sort of testing is this, exactly?  Is this using a software model
of devices that support PTM?

We wrote another driver to fake the PCI config space with pci_scan_bus, with fake switches and fake devices. Convenient since the driver only deals with the config space.

When will hardware that supports PTM be available to you for testing?
When will it be available on the market?

I don't have any dates for when consumer endpoints will hit the market. PTM aware FPGA device models might come around Q3/Q4 this year, with exercisers around 2017.

I'm trying to figure out whether there's any benefit to merging
something before it is useful to anybody.

True it won't be useful to anybody until such a device is available. What is the general policy for future hardware standards?