Re: ECRC and Max Read Request Size

On 11/6/2015 12:22 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
Hi Sinan,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 01:51:48PM -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
I'm seeing two problems with the current PCI framework when it comes
to end-to-end CRC (ECRC) and Max Read Request Size.

The problem with ECRC is that it blindly enables ECRC generation on
devices without checking if it is supported by the entire bus with
ECRC=on option.

ECRC check can be enabled on all devices but ECRC generation on the
root complex and switches needs to be set only if all devices
support ECRC checking.

I'm thinking of making changes in this area to cover this gap with
ECRC=safe option.

Sometimes they can't be avoided, but I'm generally not in favor of
adding command line parameters because they require too much of our
users and they introduce code paths that are rarely exercised.

What specific ECRC problem are you seeing?  Do you have devices that
don't operate correctly with the current code?  Or do you want to add
some new functionality, e.g., to enable ECRC in cases where we don't
enable it today?

ECRC is an optional PCIe feature. Even ECRC support has some flavors

- A card can support ECRC checking.
- A card can support ECRC checking and generation.

Right now, the code is enabling both without checking if they are supported at all.

I have some legacy PCIe cards that don't support ECRC completely even though the host bridge supports it. If ECRC checking and generation is enabled under this situation, I have problems communicating to the endpoint.

I would like to be able to turn on this feature all the time and not think about if things will break or not.

Maybe, I can fix the code and enable it only when the entire bus supports it instead of adding a new feature if nobody objects.

The other problem I'm seeing is about the maximum read request size.
If I choose the PCI bus performance mode, maximum read request size
is being limited to the maximum payload size.

I'd like to add a new mode where I can have bigger read request size
than the maximum payload size.

I've never been thrilled about the way Linux ties MRRS and MPS
together.  I don't think the spec envisioned MRRS being used to
control segment size on the link.  My impression is that the purpose
of MRRS is to limit the amount of time one device can dominate a link.

I am sympathetic to the idea of having MRRS larger than MPS.  The
question is how to accomplish that.  I'm not really happy with the
current set of "pcie_bus_tune_*" parameters, so I'd hesitate to add
yet another one.  They feel like they're basically workarounds for the
fact that Linux can't optimize MPS directly itself.

Can you give any more specifics of your MRRS/MPS situation?  I guess
you hope to improve bandwidth to some device by reducing the number of
read requests?  Do you have any quantitative estimate of what you can
gain?

I talked to our performance team. They are saying that max read request does not gain you much compared to max payload size single direction but it helps tremendously if you are moving data forth and back between the card. I don't have real numbers though.

They asked me to work on adding this feature. Most of the endpoints I have seen seem to support something around 4k for max read request size.

I have one directly connected card to my system. I'd like to give the maximum bandwidth to the card including maximum payload size and maximum read request size which is much bigger than the payload size.

Another opinion is let the firmware do its magic before the OS starts but there is no way to apply the same settings after a hot-plug insertion.

Bjorn

Sinan Kaya
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.