Re: PCIE bandwidth utilization

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:22 AM, shiv prakash Agarwal
<chhotu.shiv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Below queries:
>
> 1. Is there a way to find current PCIE bandwidth utilization? i.e How
> much of supported bandwidth is being used?

I suspect there is vendor-specific support for measuring things like
this, but I'm not aware of anything standardized or supported by
Linux.

I did find this: http://pcitop.berlios.de/, but I think it's only for
HP Itanium hardware.  I wonder if any of that functionality would make
sense in "perf"?

> 2. Can it happen that a device runs at lower speed that what is
> practically possible? i.e suppose a GPU can go upto 100 MBps, but it
> needs to run at 50 MBps only?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but it is possible to plug a
PCIe card into a slot larger than required, i.e., the slot may support
more lanes than the card:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Form_factors

Bjorn