Re: error loading iwlwifi on sony vaio

On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 01:20:13PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> [+cc Jiang, Ben]
>
> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Aaron McSorley <a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello, I'm getting this message when trying to load iwlwifi in our
> > debian live image running kernel 3.8.5, this is on a Sony SVS13AA11L,
> > please advise on how to debug this, or any additional information you
> > need, any help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance
>
> Thanks, Aaron.  Can you collect the complete dmesg log and output of
> "lspci -vv" (run as root)?
>
> I know this is a Debian kernel, but the upstream kernel likely still
> has the same problem, so it'd be good if you opened a bug report at
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org (drivers/pci category).
[...]
> > 3.8-0baureo1-486 #1 Debian 3.8.5-1~experimental.1~baureo1
[...]

This is not a Debian kernel; it's a derivative where the distributor
name has not been changed (maybe I should make it harder to do
that...).  The only patch we applied to iwlwifi in version
3.8.5-1~experimental.1 was:

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/kernel/releases/linux/3.8.5-1~experimental.1/debian/patches/debian/iwlwifi-do-not-request-unreleased-firmware.patch?revision=19961&view=markup

There could have been other changes by the derivative, but probably
not.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption] would be