Re: [RFC] Architecture independent pcibios?

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:37:48AM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 10:09 +0100, Liviu Dudau wrote:

> > > Well, I proposed an alternative (better) approach which I of course had
> > > no time to actually implement yet :-)
> >
> > In order to avoid any confusion, could you please point me again to the
> > relevant message(s) where you proposed your approach?
>
> The one pointed to by the above URL ?
>
> > > I have done the changes I needed to do to powerpc
> > > pci_process_bridge_OF_ranges so it would be possible to move that now to
> > > a generic place, but I still think it's not a great idea. It means the
> > > pci_controller structure with its resources will have to become generic
> > > which somewhat overlaps with the pci_host_bridge that Bjorn introduced,
> > > so that's really not great.
> > >
> > > I still think an arch with DT and simpler PCI code that powerpc could
> > > start looking at the transition to a better model that I hinted at...
> >
> > As tempting as it is to start anew and with a cleaner code, I am wary
> > that porting the existing platforms to the new code will take longer
> > that way. My intentions are to make the (probably infrequent) task of
> > adding a new architecture to the PCI infrastructure a simple and
> > straighforward task. But adding code for my platform is no guarantee
> > that new ones will have an easier job.
>
> It still makes little sense to generalize a pci_controller with
> resources & offset on top of the generic pci_host_bridge with apertures.

Agreed. I'm looking on how to move functions that use pci_controller to
use pci_host_bridge.

Semantic question: what is the perceived difference between a pci_controller
and a pci_host_bridge? Are they just historical naming artifacts of the
same concept? (person A deciding to do a cleanup of the code and picks a
new name in order not to upset the old APIs)

Best regards,
Liviu

--
| I would like to |