[RFC] Architecture independent pcibios?

Hello,

I am working on adding PCIe support for a new architecture and looking
at various existing implementations of pcibios functions I've realised
that some architectures share a lot of common code. As I don't like to
repeat the pattern again without any good reasons, I am wondering if
there is any appetite for carving out those common functions into
a generic place under drivers/pci/pcibios.c where they can be reused.

Things that I am specifically looking at are pcibios_{alloc,free}_controller,
pci_process_bridge_OF_ranges and anything that will make adding support
for PCI/PCIe in a new architecture easier. Candidates for promoting
to a generic place are the functions found in both powerpc and microblaze
as they seem to be mostly identical, they support DT bindings and are
64bits ready.

Any comments on why that is (possibly not) a great idea and on the chance
that a patch will get reviewed/accepted?

Best regards,
Liviu Dudau

ARM Ltd Linux Platforms engineer

--